MOTHERISK COMMISSION: PART 2
Chair: Justice Brian Scully
Panel Justice Judith C. Beaman, Commissioner
Lorne Glass, Lead Commission Counsel
Where: 311 Jarvis Street
When: Monday, February 6, 2017
From: 4:45 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
This session will discuss the work of the Motherisk Commission, which was established on January 15, 2016. The creation of the Motherisk Commission was a key recommendation of Justice Susan Lang at the conclusion of her Independent Review of the Motherisk Drug Testing Laboratory. This session will discuss the work of this Commission. Lawyers practicing in child welfare will wish to understand how the use of Motherisk hair strand testing has impacted legal cases and families across the province. Discussion topics will include:
• The services provided by the Commission including legal reviews and counselling.
• The Commission’s use of the “substantial impact test” in legal reviews
• Potential remedies for cases substantially impacted by Motherisk hair strand testing.
• Current challenges and opportunities faced by the Commission
• Systemic issues identified by the Commission in the course of its work
• Questions will be taken from the Bar.
Click here to download the flyer!